GARMENT CONDITION CHART
If you are shopping for vintage clothing, you most likely understand one very simple fact: vintage clothing was made a very long time ago. While that is what true vintage aficionados love about it, it also creates the rather difficult task of defining the condition of vintage clothing.
The merchandise in The Red Velvet Shoe has been hand selected, inspected, dry cleaned or laundered, pressed and is ready to wear, with a few exceptions. Items which have been dry cleaned will be so noted. We pride ourselves in offering a fine selection of high quality vintage in the very best condition and would never offer an item or garment we would not be proud to wear. We make small repairs such as fallen hemlines, loose buttons, tears to linings and such. Our item descriptions and photographs are provided with full disclosure of details regarding the condition of the merchandise. Please read the chart below for a better understanding of how we rate the condition of our merchandise.
VINTAGE MERCHANDISE CONDITION CHART
THE RED VELVET SHOE
- MINT: An item or garment that is flawless and in pristine condition, most likely never worn. The sheer age of true vintage clothing makes this a rather lonely category, but at times we do indeed find such gems.
- NOS: "New Old Stock" is a vintage item or garment that has it's original tags still attached. We list this after "MINT" because at times, although never worn and with tags, improper or poor storage can leave "NOS" merchandise in less than mint condition. We also do not dry~clean or launder "NOS" merchandise prior to listing it.
- EXCELLENT: An item or garment that has been worn (possibly only once or twice) but has no obvious signs of wear or notable flaws. It has been properly stored, was well taken care of and is immaculate with no odors, holes, stains, fade spots or pilling.
- VERY GOOD: An item or garment that, despite being worn more often, is still in very good condition with the exception of a few minor flaws which will be disclosed in detail in the listing.
- GOOD: An item or garment that is still wearable but has more notable flaws that may or may not be able to be fixed. This will be disclosed in detail in the listing.
- FAIR: At times we find vintage/antique items or garments that are less than pristine but may have lovely bead work, buttons, fabric, or design. The condition is obvious, as is it's beauty and possible potential for the right shopper. Items or garments in this category do not reflect the high standard of quality we seek, rather, the high opinion we have of the craftsmanship and beauty of vintage clothing and our desire to save such merchandise from an untimely fate.
The chart above is a general guide to the condition of our merchandise. Decades have passed since it was worn and decades more passed as it lay hidden away in the back of a closet or in a steamer trunk in the attic...vintage clothing is old...that's the bottom line. But like a fine wine, it just gets better with age.